Friday, July 27, 2007

Promises.

Okay - they say confession is good for you so here is one of mine. I am one of those people who sometimes gets stuck on a portion of a Scripture verse that probably doesn't mean what I think it does. I am NOT a deep thinker AT ALL! I struggle with preachers who go WAY over my head into explaining in great detail what a particular verse means. I like things kept simple - see....I am simple minded!!
Anyway - the other day I was reading my Bible and am reading the most "interesting" book in the Bible - Chronicles! I was reading along and came upon a little part of a verse that says, "Now Lord, you are God and you have promised.......". I am sure that there is a much deeper reason as to why that was said and to be frank...I didn't go figure it out. I just sat and thought about it. He is God and He has promised.
Then I started thinking about the promises and knew that would take too long so I started dwelling on the personal promises He has given to ME specifically. Still - so many of them. How can I even begin to start on the promises that He has given to me in recent months? They are absolutely NOT countable!!!
So then this morning, I was reading in my devotional book and saw this quote. "Give what He asks, take what He promises." Now, that is a loaded statement if you ask me. First of all, I have to give Him what I think I need to hang on to and then....and I think ONLY then.... can I take what He promises. Hmmmm......I am certainly not there yet but I am definitely working on it. I need to give Him my fears regarding the future of my son in the "sandbox" so that I can take His promise that He will be with him ALWAYS. I need to trust Him with the struggles of raising two teenage daughters so that I can take His promise that He has every hair on their head numbered.
Of course the list could go on and on but I think you get the idea. I know - a simple thought but I just wanted to share it. Now let me see what I can do about letting go some more and taking a firmer grasp of His promises!!

5 comments:

CrazieChrisa said...

Wow! That is good! I'll have to remember that....Luv and miss ya'll..

Linda S said...

Leah,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They are an encouragement to me.
Linda

Vonnie said...

Awesome thoughts, Leah. So simple yet so very deep!!!

~Heather~ said...

Really good post! Good reminder...! I must be reading the same devotional book, for I too read that line the other morning. "Oh God, please help me to give you all of me and my worries, and take you at YOUR WORD...which cannot fail!" =)

Hope all is well your way,
Love, Heather =)

Angie Davis said...

I needed that. Thanks!