Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Memories

I didn't have time to go sorting through my pictures before I came to work this morning or I would post a picture with this blog. Let me see if I can give you some quick details as sort of a background.
In December of 1995, we moved to pastor a church in Wabash, IN. At that time, David was 8, Carrie was 6 and Ashley was 4. This church was so neat in that there were several older people who thought my kids were the best thing in the world. We had one little lady who always had gum for them and so after church they would go running to her and she always made them come back to one of us for permission!! Another lady either brought them M&M's or Sour Cream & Onion potato chips, usually on Wednesday night! I think you get the idea although in this church, there were several other instances like this!!!
There was one couple that started coming a little while after we got there who actually used to pastor the church. They were so sweet. Sis. Linker used to call me "Peaches" for some reason although I never quite figured out why?!?! Bro. Linker was probably about 6'6 or so and skinny as a rail. Just for fun and usually on Wednesday night, Dave would have Bro. Linker and Ashley take the offering. It looked positively hilarious!! He was soooooo tall and she was sooooo short!! It never failed to make us all laugh!
There was a couple there who became like our second parents. Woody and Ruth are such wonderful people. For those of you who live here, they come down and stay with us every year during camp in February! Anyway, I called her last night and she told me that Bro. Linker had passed away early yesterday morning. I couldn't help but sit in the chair and shed a few tears at the news. The girls came home and we told them about that and it was a tough piece of news for Ashley. She has such great memories of him. Her statement was "He may have been old but he was never supposed to die".
We are blessed to have such great people in our lives who have impacted us in special ways. We are even more blessed to know those people who have impacted the lives of our children. I thank God for the memories I have with these people in Wabash. As the conversation continued, it became obvious to me that it won't be long until we will hear of more of them making their long-awaited journey to heaven. It just reminds me of how fragile life is and to never take my relationships with family and friends for granted!!

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Good post. Last statement very true!!