Sunday, November 2, 2008

Our New Church

The other day I said I would blog about our new church so here goes but first --- a little history. Moving from Florida was not a decision that we made lightly and we prayed for quite a long time and spent some agonizing moments over the decision. If our girls would have been little, we would not have had near the struggle that we did. Younger kids can handle the change much easier than two girls that were 19 and 17. We prayed and cried and prayed and cried some more. Then it became not about should we move or should we not move but about where should we move to? We have several friends that live here and attend this church and Ashley had met several of the young people at our youth camp and so we began the process of asking questions and searching for answers to whether or not this was the place for us. We would be close to family - Dave's family is about 30 minutes away and mine are all between 1 and 2 hours away. It would be a more central location for Dave to travel to his revivals and not cost so much! There was a church here and a good school for Ashley to attend. Dave spent some time here and talked to Pastor Mowery and then "it" began to happen. God started working things out and opening doors that only HE could do. It still wasn't easy and at times it still has its challenges but God set things in motion that brought our family to this place.

We have a wonderful Pastor in Mark Mowery. I am not sure that I have ever met a more caring, compassionate Pastor since my Dad and trust me, that is saying an awful lot. His compassion shows through in his preaching and the tears he sheds and the care and concern he has for his church! For instance, within 15 minutes of me receiving the news that my sister-in-law had passed away, he was at my front door. My girls were impressed that he arrived so quickly and have related that story more than once in the past few weeks. Then he drove TWO hours to the funeral home for visiting hours "just because that is what Pastors do". His wife has to be one of the most gracious people I have ever met in my life! She is so sweet and kind and compassionate and carries a true burden for the people of her church, especially the ladies! She is one of those people who just wears her relationship with Christ on her face and I LOVE to see it in action! I don't know if they read this blog but several people from the church do and so I am saying for all to hear that we have a wonderful Pastor and wife and I am thrilled to attend this church!

This is Travis and Jody - our Associate Pastor/Youth Pastor. I just can't tell you enough about them! My girls have been so impressed with Travis and his dealings with the young people of our church. They have enjoyed his messages in their Sunday School class and then they have a small group two Wednesday nights a month and they are really enjoying it. The young people are blessed beyond words to have a Pastor who loves them like he does. I think it also helps when his ADHD kicks in! :)) Honestly, we are very blessed. And Jody - oh my - there is so much to be said for this steady, loving, caring Pastors wife! I think she learned so much from her mom and yet she is very much her own individual! By the way, she is the Mowery's daughter! I am really impressed with her and her life and am thrilled that my daughters have someone like her to look up to!

The move was not an easy one for us to make but in the past two months, God has brought about circumstances to let us know that we are in the center of His will and there is no better place to be. I have really enjoyed getting to know the people here. Angie is a great person to bring cookies to cheer me up, Catrena is always ready with a smile and a "how are you?", Kim looks down at this short little person and pays me the highest compliment every by telling me that I have raised "GREAT" kids, Beth is planning on teaching me to enjoy the snow I think (at least she is going to try), Julie just makes me smile for some reason, Jenny has taken my youngest daughter under her wings at school! I knew when I started naming names that I was going to get into trouble! Let me just say that I am blessed beyond words! Now the only thing that would make it better would be if Tara were here!!!!

5 comments:

Julie Waggoner said...

Thanks, Leah! We are glad you are all here and I hope you have felt welcome! And, yes I am waiting for the call to meet you for lunch!
By the way Janae thinks Ashley is the best!

Unknown said...

What a great tribute to our pastors! I say "Amen!" We are glad to have your family as part of our church! Kim

Angie D said...

That's sweet, Leah! And for the record, we're keeping you!

Greg & Stephanie said...

Leah,
Thanks for sharing! Too many times people move to certain locations simply for what they can get economically, to the detriment of the spiritual well being of their children and themselves. I commend you for seeking out a good church and a good school for your family. It is all important!!! The Mowery's and Johnson's are wonderful, Godly examples. "Long-term" pastors are usually "long-term" for a reason. People know when someone cares and is passionate about their responsibility.
Will be seeing you later in the month? Looking forward to our revival with Dave!

Jill M. said...

You are right, Leah. The people at Frankfort are awesome! I'm so happy that you are there.