Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Milestone (of sorts!)


I am doing this blog today since I know there will be no time tomorrow or the next! This is mainly another one of those "therapy" blogs so read on at your own risk!!!
A year ago this week, David graduated from boot camp and became a full-fledged Marine! I really can't believe that it has been a year already! In a way, it seems like it has been forever but in another way, it seems like it just happened yesterday. The emotions have been from one end of the spectrum to the other in this past year. I have to admit that I am as proud as can be of what he has become! While I am a typical Mom and find myself worrying about him daily, I have to admit that God knew exactly what He was doing!! I know - I don't always act like I know that, huh??
Watching David at the Boot Camp Graduation was a highlight! I can never hear the Marine Hymn or the Star Spangled Banner the same way ever again. It was unbelievable to see the changes in him! He not only was a LOT skinnier - he was a MAN! A Marine Man - and that makes all the difference in the world!!
I had to give myself a good talking to today over the reactions I had to some news I received yesterday regarding him. Someone made a statement to me yesterday that at first bothered me but then I realized how truthful it was. If it were not for people like David who choose to fight for our freedom, we may not be able to celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas like we are used to.
Changes happen in life. Kids grow up and move on! Life changes! We may not always like it but it happens. The bottom line is that God never changes and that I can rest in. This is really probably the beginning of a lot of changes in our lives but I am so thankful for the husband and children that I have!! I never want to take that for granted!!
So - when you celebrate the Holidays this year, take the time to be thankful for the freedom you have to celebrate them in the way you do!!