Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Just me talking

I am not one of those people that has tons of "self-help" books in my house although I used to have a lot more in my possession than I do now. I finally got to the place where they all just made me frustrated at all the things it seemed I was doing wrong in my life and I got rid of almost all that I owned. However, I know "someone" that has tons and tons of books and thinks that everyone should read and read and gain all the knowledge they can and really pushes the whole idea of what I call "self-help" books! I picked one up yesterday written by an author that seems to have every one's attention. No - I won't tell you who since I will reserve that opinion for myself! You may be able to figure it out but that's ok.
I have had a few people tell me at different times in my life that I don't always have the best attitude about things. Sometimes I get too down or too frustrated or too irritated or too - whatever! I have made a few changes in recent months and have removed myself from several situations that I felt caused me to have an attitude that was somewhat questionable. I started reading this book last night and ran across a few things that have sort of stuck with me which is actually saying something! I don't seem to retain a lot in this brain so when I do, it must be big so I thought I would share them with you.
1) Who we are determines how we see others. If I am grumpy, it's easy to see others as grumpy. If I am happy, it's easy to see others happy!
2) Hurting people hurt people and are easily hurt BY them. Now that one really grabbed me. Sometimes when I am hurting, it is easy to take that hurt out on other people. Also, when I am hurting over a situation, it seems easier for me to get hurt in other areas as well.
3) Each person we meet has the potential to teach us something. To take that a step further, it isn't always something good we are being "taught". Some people we come in contact with just do not help us in any good way!
I guess what it all boils down to is our attitude. I am NOT someone who believes that attitude is everything! I DO think that it can play a huge part in our lives and how we see things. It is easy to have a great attitude when everything is going fine and dandy but it only makes a difference when the obstacles and struggles come along! I wish I could say that I always had a good attitude and handled things "well" in my life! I don't - plain and simple. I am learning I think! Please - don't think that I have this all figured out and instantly will become this positive, upbeat, sunshiny person. I actually let those kind of people irritate the life out of me!!!! It makes me want to bop them upside the head and make them feel pain!!! :) In all seriousness, I am keenly aware of the needs I have to change certain areas of my life. In the past, it was easier for me to "hang around" a situation that was not good instead of just removing myself. I never really wanted to hurt someones feelings so I just sort of stuck it out! Recently though, God has been showing me that I CAN control some things and I don't have to feel guilty when I DO control them. I am realizing more and more that I can't control other people but I can control me and the attitudes that I have.
There may be a few more blogs along this line as I read through this book. So, I guess I should say that not all "self-help" books are bad, right?!?! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post....At Cheryl's nursing graduation the speaker told how his pet dog had bit him when the dog had gotten run over. He went on to say that as they were caring for sick patients that hurting people "bite".

Angie D said...

Good thoughts, Leah. Although I don't always keep them around for long, I enjoy reading some of those books.